Tuesday, December 17, 2013

10 things I learned by 25

1.) I am more capable than I originally believed.

I have the power to accomplish what I set out to do.  I am not weak, vulnerable, or incapable.  I can do what I think I can do and more.  And so can you.  We often limit ourselves because we have insecurities or because we’ve failed before.  But there’s grace.  And second chances.  Really, the best thing we can do is simply try and the worst thing we can do is not try.  So, don’t be hindered by your insecurities and fears.  Look them in the eye and laugh!  Because that’s all they are- just fears with empty power.

2.) Never take the small things for granted.

The other night, Josh got home late from work.  Instead of going to sleep right away, we reminisced and laughed and teased each other.  It was wonderful.  It’s the small things like that that I want to appreciate and remember.  I don’t ever want to get to the point where he comes home from work and I’m too apathetic to greet him.  I don’t ever want to be too busy to call my mom or to admire the pretty flowers in the Spring.  That’s how regret starts and I don’t want it to have a place in my life.

3.) Isolation is more devastating than death.

We weren’t meant to live alone.  The value of relationships is priceless and when people isolate themselves emotionally or physically, they are slowing numbing their souls.

4.) But being alone is necessary.

When we get to a point where we have to be around people constantly, we have automatically placed our well-being in the hands of others and are therefore dependent on them to fulfill a job they weren’t intended for in the first place.  It’s good to step away every once in awhile and just sit and be.  Listen to silence and breathe in nothingness.  It’s good.

5.) Grace is better than pride.

It’s nicer to others, more attractive to you, and resets your attitude.  It gives you the ability to be unaffected by external circumstances and consequences, and it gives you a more balanced perspective.  It’s what allows you to be a better human and detects the aptitude of your character.  Grace.  We all need it and are required to give it.  So practice it freely- knowing that it will be taken for granted, but also knowing that it is totally worth it.

6.) Experience everything you can.

While there are some things I just don’t want to do (i.e. bungee jumping), I also don’t want to turn down experiences because I’m afraid or unsure.  Be brave or spontaneous or whatever it is that gets you to do that thing you’re not doing.  Don’t go on the same vacation every year.  Don’t eat at the same restaurant.  When someone asks you if you want to ride that rollercoaster or go deep sea fishing or swim with dolphins, the answer is yes (within reason, of course)!  Go to that concert, take that day trip, eat that strange unidentifiable food, talk to that hippie.  You never know when an experience will change your life.

7.) Be generous.

It’s just money, time, or resources.  Use them well, and don’t use them all on you. 

8.) Let go of expectations.

We all have them, but when we can relinquish those expectations, we become so much more enjoyable.  Obviously, there are certain expectations we need to keep (i.e. I expect you not to rob me); but the ones we have that we cannot control, get rid of them.  They’re fetters with no place in your life.

9.) Have a favorite.

It can be anything!  A favorite song, a favorite color, place, saying, food, memory, etc.  Here’s why:  It will get you excited for it when you see it, hear it, taste it, smell it.  Life is so much better when there’s excitement, so do yourself a favor and add to it.

10.) Be appreciative.

Be thankful for the small and big things.  Everyday things like a breeze on a hot day, a pretty sunset, flowers that smell good, electricity, food, etc. go unnoticed oftentimes but are so valuable to our happiness.  It’s easier to be thankful for the bigger things (well, hopefully) like health, family and friends, a home, vacation, etc.  So, take an inventory of your life and see what you actively appreciate.  The list should be endless, because in America, we really don’t have an excuse to limit our thankfulness.  And once you see all the wonderful blessings in your life, thank your Provider and enjoy them with a new fervor.

1 comment:

  1. you're so wise, these are awesome! Definitely applying them to my life! Your posts encourage me to think and grow. : ) udabest! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete