Thursday, March 20, 2014

Marching right along

March is always exciting to me, but this March has been much-anticipated!  We weren’t as adventurous as we had been in previous months, but Josh’s work schedule didn’t really allow for much play time.

My mamacita came to visit at the beginning of the month, which was so, so good for my heart.  (Mommy, yous da best!  I love you!)  I showed her around the area…and by that I mean we got lost in the woods one day (thanks, Google Maps for helping us find our way back!). 

020

Can’t believe she trusted me! 

021

But the scenery was nice.

I made sure she got her Pike’s Place experience, complete with seafood from Jack’s. 

186

Sitting in the sun at Alki Beach across from the city

195

Since my last seal picture was so-so, here’s a better one of another little fella!

We also went whale watching!  That has been on the top of my list since we got here.  Whale watching season technically starts in March, but it doesn’t really pick up until April or May.  So, womp-womp, we didn’t get to see any whales jump out of the water or do any tricks for us, but we did get to see plenty of other sea creatures, so it was all good.

036

Thankfully, it was a clear, sunny day!

060

Sea lions

176

Seals on a sandbar

071

In the 70’s, this island was used for hunting.  People would request an animal, the owners would bring it to the island, and for a lofty fee, you could spend the day hunting it down.  That quickly became illegal.  As a result, these poor deer are stuck on this island forever…but at least there’s plenty of grass!

073

I know it’s not real clear, but look at the top right-hand corner of the tree.  That white spot is a bald eagle.

075

Here’s another angle.  This time, look at the top middle part of the tree.  See the white spot?  Maybe?

Other than having a visitor, Josh and I fit in our usual ski trips and hikes.  That’s about it for March at this point, though.  We are leaving this place on Saturday and heading east.  So, technically our March adventures aren’t over, because we’re hopefully going to hit some national parks on the way back to SC.  We’ll see what fun moving stories we’ll have for you when we return.  The adventures never end!

No comments:

Post a Comment