Saturday, July 16, 2011

so long sweet summer

It's July. Where did May and June go?  Every summer I get a little sentimental and think back to when I was a kid.  Summers were the best!  No school, hanging out with neighborhood friends, running through sprinklers, popsicles.  Ah, the good life.  Why do we have to grow up?  Summers don't seem to have the same kind of flare they had as a kid.  In fact, I barely realized it was summer (minus the heat index).  Working 2 jobs and taking a class has not exactly been the most peaceful summer I've ever had.  I'm realizing now that I might not have summers anymore.  It might just be another season to me.  That's sad.  I want to forget about heals and blouses and put on a freakin bathing suit sometimes!  I want to sleep in until 10 or 11 and not feel like I have to be extra-efficient to make up for the lost hours.

On the flip-side, I get to experience things on a much richer level.  I do miss the carefree popsicle days, but there's something so fulfilling about paying my own bills.  That sounds sarcastic- it's not.  I have a lot more responsibility and stress, but I have a lot more freedom and experiences!  I get to sleep next to an amazing man and share life with him.  I get to go out to dinner with my friends on any given night.  I get to go to bed as late (which is not at all) as I want to.  I don't answer to anyone (within reason).  That's scary, but it's so good.

That's part of being a big kid, I guess.  No one is going to hold my hand or tell me "no."  I've gotten my chance to enjoy duty-free summers and it was great, but there's a point when you have to let it go.  So, goodbye summer vacation!  You've been fun, but onward and upward!

1 comment:

  1. Hey!! I nominated you for the Liebster award. : ) It's silly but fun! If you wanna pass it along check out my blog.. i have you linked and details on my La-La-La-Liebster post. Ha. : ) - Anne VDW @ Deep Roots (http://deeprootsfood.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete