Thursday, July 25, 2013

New digs

I’m semi high-maintenance.  I really try not to be, but if I’m being completely honest, it’s true.  I don’t enjoy camping or “roughing it” (does that even sound fun to anyone?), but I will if it means that I get to hang out with people I love.  So, the thought of living in an RV was not appealing to me.  My poor husband…

We looked at several on Craigslist, Camping World, and other various websites we could find.  Most of them were fine, but I thought “I’m going to be cooking in that, living in it and hopefully having people over.”  I didn’t want to feel grungy every time I stepped foot in the place.  If we were using this as a vacation vehicle, SURE!  Who cares?!  But living in the thing is a different story.  Hence, I asked my hubby for a few more amenities than we were originally thinking.

544

We found our RV at a place called Karolina Koaches.  They buy repossessed RVs at an auction, fix up the major issues, and sell them for thousands less than they’re actually worth.  It really is a great deal!  So, we decided on this one.  It’s a 2005 Alfa.  What a great find it was, because it had everything we were looking for in an RV (diesel engine, low miles, plenty of space, an oven, and a washer/dryer combo)!

It actually hasn’t been bad to live in.  Occasionally it feels cramped when the dog is doing circles and I’m trying to walk back and forth getting stuff done, but overall, it’s been great.  The only problem we have now is a broken water heater (not that we’ll need hot water in Texas, but it might come in handy in Colorado).  So, cyber friends,  feel special, because here is your very own tour of our new home (starting from front to back)!

178

The view as you walk in.  The whole right side of the room slides in to where the tile is when we drive.

180

This couch pulls out to be a double bed.  The couch on the other side is a full pull-out couch, so come visit!  Also, please note that my mom is amazing, because she helped me clean this whole place AND she helped me make pillows!  She pretty much rocks!

179

Behind that couch is extra storage (this place has tons of room). 

177

Our kitchen!  It was hard to find an RV with everything that I wanted in a kitchen within our price range (i.e. an oven, a larger-than-mini fridge, a microwave).  The kitchen looks small, but people, I was able to bring practically everything from my kitchen at home!  Made complete with dog bowls and pillow :)

176

Self-explanatory, but I love that the table extends!

169

This baby is so cool!  (It’s the little things in life.)  I really wanted a washer/dryer in the RV because I didn’t know if all the parks we’d stay at would have a place to do laundry.  This is neat, because it washes and dries in ONE MACHINE!  Why don’t we do that anyway?  It’s awesome!  It’s small, so we have to do laundry twice as often, but it’s still pretty cool to have one of these!  (Why is it that this is the most exciting part of the RV for me?!)

175 Again, self explanatory.  Just trying to give you a thorough tour :)

184

Behind door #1 is the shower!  And behind door #2….

185

The throne room!  It was weird getting used to this toilet.  The seat is shaped differently than regular seats and the flusher is a pedal on the bottom.  Think airplane bathroom.  There’s one button to fill it with water and another button to flush.  Whatevs.  It works.  No complaints.

181

Looking into the bedroom.  I couldn’t really get a great shot of the whole place, but there’s more room than it looks.  To the left, we have a closet that spans the whole wall up to the bathroom sink.  Also, there are drawers along the bottom of the wall for more storage space.

182 I know you’ve basically already seen this, but I just wanted to point out this curtain (mainly because it took about 2.5 days to finish).  The only con about this place is that it didn’t have a door/wall between the bathroom and the bedroom (there is one between the kitchen and bathroom, though).  That wouldn’t be a problem except when Josh works nights and sleeps during the day, I didn’t want to wake him up every time I had to pee.  I tried some black-out curtains, but they weren’t tall or wide enough.  My awesome, talented, artistic friend, Sarah (click here to see her blog- she rocks) came up with a great solution.  We took a large drop cloth from Lowes, made our own stamps with foam board and went to town!  It was so fun and easy…just took awhile.  Then, again, enter my awesome mom who sewed the whole thing together for me.  It’s not completely sound proof (duh), but light can’t get through, which is a major plus!

So, there you have it!  My new home with my awesome man!  We really have been so blessed to find something like this.  It makes me appreciate the small things in life a little more.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Courtney - love your blog and will try and follow your adventures. I had no idea during school that this was your plan but I applaud yours and Josh's courage and flexibility...literally it appears. Send us your address if you can get mail and I will attempt to send a card or something so you can get some care mail. We love you and are praying for a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete