Sunday, September 1, 2013

Body parts

I think I may get in trouble for this post, but I’m writing it anyway because this has been a huge burden on my heart for several months. 

I grew up in church, I have had a Christian education, and I have been constantly surrounded by Believers my whole life.  I am by no means an expert, but I am in a position to know a good bit about the Bible and Christianity (and I am I thoroughly grateful for that).  However, in the middle of all this spirituality and religion, I have yet to hear a pastor or teacher talk about the importance of spiritual gifts and practicing them regularly inside and outside the Church.

It wasn’t until early this year that a dear friend of mine opened my eyes to a whole different way of life.  You mean miracles and healing and speaking in tongues doesn’t just happen in foreign countries?!  I didn’t take her for her word at first, because let’s be honest, we have all seen and heard about people abusing these so-called gifts and wreaking havoc on our reputations.  I always kind of pushed those people aside into a category labeled “crazy.”  She was so patient and gracious with me, though.  The more I studied Scripture, the more I couldn’t help but see those words jumping off the page at me.

I will try to do this as systematically and concisely as possible (Please know that there are so many more passages to explore than these, but these are the main ones that I keep coming back to):

-John 14:12 “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.”

-Acts 1:8  “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth”

-Romans 8:11 “The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you…”

So here we see that we have access to an indescribable power, because the Holy Spirit lives within each and every Believer.  Whether or not we believe that we have such a powerful Being within us at all times, it’s the truth!  The Counselor is always with us to encourage us, teach us, convict us, protect us, etc.  He is a constant source here on earth until Christ returns.  Because of that, His power and authority (because He is separate and equal to the Father and Son) are accessible.  Notice, I am not saying we are powerful or we have authority.  No.  It is only through the work of the Spirit and the name of Jesus- which is above every name- that we are able to function with any means outside of our physical/natural capabilities.

I strongly encourage you to read I Corinthians 12 through I Corinthians 14 (I’m not about to type it all out here…).  Paul is making a huge case for spiritual gifts and their functioning within the Church.  He does not say anything about a select few using them or that you have to be part of an exclusive group to have them.  His letter is timeless and universal.  All Believers have spiritual gifts and all should use them to contribute to the Body. 

“These gifts are not optional.  The people of the Church have missed God in the past by deciding for themselves whether or not they would accept them.  The gifts of the Spirit are not placed at the disposal of the Church on a take-it-or-leave-it proposition.  We either take them or lose what we have.”  (The Gifts and Ministries of the Holy Spirit by Lester Sumrall).

This leads me to my last point: WHAT IF THE CHURCH FUNCTIONED THE WAY CHRIST INTENDED?  I’m not necessarily talking about a perfectly peaceful congregation and that every guest gets a hospitable handshake when they walk in the door (although, those would be great as well).  I’m talking about What if the mouths spoke?  What if the legs walked?  What if the arms lifted?  What if the neck turned?  In other words, what if those who have the gift to speak and pray in tongues did so regularly alongside the help of an interpreter?  What if those who had the gift of healing gave the blind back their sight?  What if those who have the gift of miracles fed an entire starving village?  What if those who have the gift of prophesy daily comforted, exhorted, or encouraged fellow Christians?  How about those with the gift of faith, wisdom, and knowledge?  What if they stepped up and challenged the Church to be stronger and more mature?  What if we distinguished spirits- clean and unclean- and used the name of Jesus to bind or loosen?  WHAT IF THE CHURCH FUNCTIONED THE WAY CHRIST INTENDED?

In addition, what if we confessed our sins to one another daily?  Or sought out single mothers, widows, or orphans to bless?  Or prayed intently and purposefully for each other, our ministries, and the Harvest?  What if we actually spent more time reflecting Christ than we did worrying about what color the carpet is going to be or what brand of coffee to buy for Sunday mornings?  What if we tithed regularly with faith and thanksgiving?  What if we loved the people who hated us?  What if we thought less about ourselves and our own lives and spent more time and energy thinking of the Body and how every brother and sister is intertwined by the blessing of eternal life?

I know I can’t be alone in this!  It is my desire to see the Church truly act like the Church- not perfect, but striving for it.  It’s my guess that we would have a much stronger and stable reputation, more loving members, and more passionate people.  When a person is healthy, it’s easy to see.  If the Church functioned like it was meant to function, the world would notice.  Paul said to use words if necessary, so maybe we can get attention with pure action.  Jesus’ ministry comprised of all the gifts (minus tongues) as well as the apostles as they started their ministry after his death.  It wasn’t just preaching, it wasn’t just service.  It was a multitude of gifts and community and disciplines (prayer, meditation, fasting, etc.) that allowed Christianity to spread over continents and centuries.

I have been the good, quiet Christian my entire life.  I’m kind of done with sitting back in the corner not really contributing to the Kingdom and damaging the enemy.  The Lord did not give me eternal life to start living once I get to heaven.  It’s for me to start living now.  To use my gifts now so that the Christ can be glorified, the Church can be edified, and the lost can be reconciled.  I’m just one part of a finger, though.  We need more fingers and a hand and a wrist and an arm and a shoulder, etc. 

I’m not sure there is an excuse for us in the 21st century to be ignorant of this or to be ignorant of what our gifts could be.  We have too many resources for us to be naive about it.  Maybe it’s apathy?  I’m not sure and I’m not one to judge.  All I know is that the first generation of the Church didn’t miss much in their lives because they were afraid or apathetic.  They lived well and left a legacy and a guide for us today.  I want to be part of a generation that functions as a Body- a unified and glorious Body.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Mrs. Skaggs you weren't kidding about thinking through the gifts of the spirit/baptism of the Holy Spirit...My spirit was already fired up before this post and now it's ready to go set fire to this world for Jesus!

    Reid

    ReplyDelete